Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Depressed Girls are Easy Girls"

The above comment was made by Denny Crane (William Shatner) of the show Boston Legal. This is their last season, and I have to say after the above, I'm not sorry. The above comment was made when Denny was explaining why he was voting Republican - that the Republicans think women should stay in the kitchen and therefore, if the Repubs win, more women will be depressed and...depressed girls are easy girls. What a fucking outrage. (Disclaimer: I am an Independent - I don't like either of the two "canonized" parties.) I'm not trying to be political here, I am just OUTRAGED that a comment like this would be made, particularly on a show that attempts to show how cool it is by having an attorney with Asperger's syndrome as part of the cast. Why is it that this kind of humor is okay while other applications to protected classes are not? Why are fat jokes funny? WHY? Why are crazy jokes funny? (Ok, the really out there ones ARE kinda funny, but you know what I mean.) This show, Boston Legal, which used to be one of my favorites has become downright preachy about various topics. I don't need Hollywood to tell me how to live my life; I don't need Hollywood to tell me how to vote. I guess I am just pissed at all these idiotic actors who think because they have a mic in front of them that they have some special kind of insight into the world that the rest of us ticketholders don't. Grrrrrrrrrrrr................... And yes, it even makes me mad IF I agree with them.

It took me awhile to understand what was at the heart of my being pissed: "Depressed Girls are Easy Girls" translates into "Depressed people (girls, specifically) are easy to exploit and victimize." I can' t see how that is okay with anybody. It pisses me off because, in the larger picture, it underscores that the stronger are given permission, encouraged even, to exploit the less strong. That's bullshit any way you slice it and I don't give a shit who said it. IT'S WRONG.

(And now that I have said all that, this week's episode of Boston Legal dealt with abortion and bullying - and I think they did a superb job, so Denny, don't come after me with your guns - even if they are only loaded with paintballs now.)

2 comments:

Subvet said...

The implicit treatment of the "girls" as nothing more than objects for the gratification of men says wonders for the basic mindset in Hollyweird and other secularist liberal enclaves.

Maybe that explains in part the hatred directed toward Gov. Palin. A truly strong, independent woman is seen as a threat by her supposed champions, especially if she doesn't claim "victimhood" in any area.

Mother Darla said...

You betcha, subvet! Any woman who can take down and field dress a caribou is ok with me!!!

We need to start standing up to the bullies in every area. Sure, crap has happened to me, but I assure you, I'm no victim. We all need to start fighting back against what's wrong and start fixing it by stepping up.