Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bail Out: Bail Me Out

As one of the many Americans faced with losing their homes, I'd like to invite the Feds, the State of California, or the banks/lending guys, to bail ME out. After all, I'm the one who has paid you all these years, never missed a payment, never late (TBTG), but now that my husband and I are unemployed at the same time, we may not be able to keep up our payments.

This bites for several reasons, the most obvious is the failure of a longtime investment. My husband was self-employed (until his greedy landlords raised his rent more than 55% in ONE MONTH and he went under - perhaps more on that later), so we looked at the house as our safety net, since he didn't have a 401k, and mine are anemic beyond words. We aren't lazy people. We don't live extravagantly. What do we do? Who are we? We're simple people who rescue dogs. THEY are our great extravagance, and may, also, be homeless in a few months.

We are people who worked every day, rarely took sick days, showed up to work and did a good job in our respective employments. My husband took a crappy CSR job after losing his business, and I was laid off from the CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL from which I graduated as part of a political coup.

But I digress.

Why not give the people the money (uh, wasn't it theirs to start with?) to bail themselves out? I mean, for Pete's sake, to my knowledge, I didn't sign on to bail out corporations who set out to screw me. I thought I was paying taxes to the government to take care of me.

And then it hit me. I was a sucker. I'd been sold a bill of goods and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I never saw it coming: I had been seduced, deluded, brainwashed into thinking that I was paying the government for services where I was concerned. What a DOPE! I knew clearly that for someone of my age that the Social Security taxes I have been paying for the last 30+ years were gonzo, but I had trusted that the government was minding the store, so I didn't have to. WHAT A MAROON!!! We need to 1) make sure we take care of ourselves and 2) wake up and begin demanding that the government live up to THEIR part of the bargain: they need to show up and be accountable.

How do we make that happen? WE, too, have been asleep at the wheel and need to begin to take this country back.

Wake up, my people, wake up!!!!

No comments: